Javonte Higgins to friend: I 'shot some people' | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Testimony in the murder trial of Javonte Higgins began Wednesday with events prior to the deaths of David and Vivian Bouwman. Higgins is charged with killing them in their Kentwood home in January 2013.
Prosecutor Chris Becker called several witnesses to establish that Higgins walked with a definite limp; a limp that resulted from injuries he suffered in a stolen truck crash he was involved in December 2012, a month before the Bowman murders.
Witnesses described a home invasion in Wyoming where a woman lost several precious rings. Later that night a police officer said Higgins crashed a truck that had been stolen earlier. Higgins was badly hurt.
An officer said he saw three rings fall out of Higgins' pocket which were later found to have been stolen. A doctor also testified about the extensive injuries Higgins suffered in the crash, injuries that would cause him to walk with a distinct limp.
19 witnesses testified in total Wednesday, including the Bouwman's neighbor, Edward Reda. She described being awake at 2:50 a.m. one morning. "I'm sure I heard popping noises-- five of them-- it was very fast: pop-pop-pop-pop."
Also testifying against his will was Higgins' friend, who in a statement a year ago told police Higgins said he had killed some people. "He says I heard some people got shot, maybe second time he said he shot some people," Kamari Boyd testified.
Testimony will continue Thursday when the prosecution could wrap up its case. Then the defense gets its chance.
Upcoming Events near Kentwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Spectrum Integrated Care Campus welcomes first patients
- The pros and cons of six kinds of milk
- My Town: Cornerstone University 'Night of Nets' founder up for $10k charity prize
- Spectrum opens Integrated Care Campus on East Beltline
- My Town: Restaurant Week GR to include specials from 66 restaurants
- My Town EGR: Bicycle thefts lead to alert from officers
- Local athlete preparing for triathlon world championship
- My Town EGR: City council approves tighter restrictions on panhandling
- My Town EGR: Lakeside Drive construction enters new phase
- My Town: Gaslight Village retailer welcomes new name and location