Ionia County spa busted for prostitution | News
IONIA, Mich. (WZZM) Prosecutors say a Kentwood woman has been running a prostitution enterprise near Portland and has pleaded guilty to similar charges in the past.
Ionia County began investigating allegations of prostitution at the L.A. Spa on Grand River Avenue off I-96 in January. Detective Phillip Hesche says an undercover deputy recently went into the business and was offered sex for money.
On Monday, deputies arrested the spa operator, 76-year-old Yung Ja Lee, on a charge of "keeping a house of ill fame," which is the wording of the Michigan law. Hesche described it as "a cathouse."
Two other women, Sook Ja Kim, 45, and Myong Hwa Snyder, 50, are facing prostitution charges.
Det. Hesche says Lee was convicted on a similar charge in 2005. He says the spa has been the target of prostitution investigations repeatedly over the last 20 years.
Internet listings for L.A. Spa say it offers massage, shower, and sauna services.
The women are expected to appear in Ionia County District Court next week.
Upcoming Events near Kentwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Aquinas College professor elected to Lilly Fellows Program's national board
- My Town: Enjoy the Dog Days of Summer with dogs July 15
- My Town EGR: Final 'Concerts In The Park' performance July 15
- My Town EGR: West Catholic students to earn credits from Aquinas College
- My Town EGR: Panhandling restrictions clear first hurdle