Ionia County spa busted for prostitution | News
IONIA, Mich. (WZZM) Prosecutors say a Kentwood woman has been running a prostitution enterprise near Portland and has pleaded guilty to similar charges in the past.
Ionia County began investigating allegations of prostitution at the L.A. Spa on Grand River Avenue off I-96 in January. Detective Phillip Hesche says an undercover deputy recently went into the business and was offered sex for money.
On Monday, deputies arrested the spa operator, 76-year-old Yung Ja Lee, on a charge of "keeping a house of ill fame," which is the wording of the Michigan law. Hesche described it as "a cathouse."
Two other women, Sook Ja Kim, 45, and Myong Hwa Snyder, 50, are facing prostitution charges.
Det. Hesche says Lee was convicted on a similar charge in 2005. He says the spa has been the target of prostitution investigations repeatedly over the last 20 years.
Internet listings for L.A. Spa say it offers massage, shower, and sauna services.
The women are expected to appear in Ionia County District Court next week.
Upcoming Events near Kentwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- West Michigan marathoners leave for Boston
- My Town Ada: Construction company targeted in real estate rental scam
- My Town: Ada Farmers Market prepares for a new extended season
- My Town Cascade Township: Deputy shares tips for fraud protection during free workshop
- Local runners looking forward to Boston Marathon