Ionia County spa busted for prostitution | News
IONIA, Mich. (WZZM) Prosecutors say a Kentwood woman has been running a prostitution enterprise near Portland and has pleaded guilty to similar charges in the past.
Ionia County began investigating allegations of prostitution at the L.A. Spa on Grand River Avenue off I-96 in January. Detective Phillip Hesche says an undercover deputy recently went into the business and was offered sex for money.
On Monday, deputies arrested the spa operator, 76-year-old Yung Ja Lee, on a charge of "keeping a house of ill fame," which is the wording of the Michigan law. Hesche described it as "a cathouse."
Two other women, Sook Ja Kim, 45, and Myong Hwa Snyder, 50, are facing prostitution charges.
Det. Hesche says Lee was convicted on a similar charge in 2005. He says the spa has been the target of prostitution investigations repeatedly over the last 20 years.
Internet listings for L.A. Spa say it offers massage, shower, and sauna services.
The women are expected to appear in Ionia County District Court next week.
Upcoming Events near Kentwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- EGR high school broken into, suspicious packages left behind
- Delta Subaru Gaslight Criterium on August 17
- My Town EGR: City to consider more town homes on Croswell Avenue Aug. 12
- My Town EGR: Gaslight Village parking restrictions clear first hurdle
- My Town EGR: City shares safety tips for bicyclists and pedestrians