Ionia County spa busted for prostitution | News
IONIA, Mich. (WZZM) Prosecutors say a Kentwood woman has been running a prostitution enterprise near Portland and has pleaded guilty to similar charges in the past.
Ionia County began investigating allegations of prostitution at the L.A. Spa on Grand River Avenue off I-96 in January. Detective Phillip Hesche says an undercover deputy recently went into the business and was offered sex for money.
On Monday, deputies arrested the spa operator, 76-year-old Yung Ja Lee, on a charge of "keeping a house of ill fame," which is the wording of the Michigan law. Hesche described it as "a cathouse."
Two other women, Sook Ja Kim, 45, and Myong Hwa Snyder, 50, are facing prostitution charges.
Det. Hesche says Lee was convicted on a similar charge in 2005. He says the spa has been the target of prostitution investigations repeatedly over the last 20 years.
Internet listings for L.A. Spa say it offers massage, shower, and sauna services.
The women are expected to appear in Ionia County District Court next week.
Upcoming Events near Kentwood
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Ada/Cascade: Evangelical leaders discuss immigration reform
- My Town: New business brings vegan handbags, fashion benefits to Grand Rapids area
- My Town Cascade: Academy of Music in Grand Rapids celebrates new space
- My Town Kentwood: TSA expands prescreening option at Ford Airport
- Ada woman charged in fatal crash accepts plea
- My Town EGR: Snow hinders water meter readers for a second month
- My Town EGR: A way through life's transitions
- My Town EGR: City commissioners review Boulevard Bridge project March 3
- My Town EGR: Final performances of CLUE the musical
- My Town EGR: City commissioners to review Boulevard Bridge project plans