Our network

UPDATE: McIntyre found guilty of arson | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

UPDATE: McIntyre found guilty of arson
News

UPDATE 2:55 p.m. Thursday (WZZM)- A jury has found Joseph McIntyre guilty on all charges.

KENT COUNTY, Mich. (WZZM)- Jury deliberations begin Thursday in the trial of a man charged with setting a series of fires last year.  Joseph McIntyre faces several arson charges after multiple garage fires in Grand Rapids and Kentwood. 

Attorneys made their closing arguments Wednesday morning.  The defense claims McIntyre was insane when he started the fires -- a claim the prosecution disputes.

Kent County Assistant Prosecutor Kellee Koncki said, "He had control over that.  He picked and choosed and he had control over these peoples peace of mind, he took their property - he destroyed it, he took their peace of mind and he destroyed it... he took their safety and he destroyed it."

Defense attorney David Dodge said, "Is there a relationship, is there a connection between Joe McIntyre's developmental history, between his background and the events of July through October 2010?  It's really what the case is all about."

Police arrested McIntyre in October of last year.  The series of arsons began three months before that.

News